Monday, January 16, 2012

Super Capes

The Super Cape idea came up a few years ago when my now 11 & 8 year olds were 2 & 4.  All my boys ever wanted to do was pretend.  They were not the type of kids to sit and play with a train table or build with blocks for hours, but give them a blanket and a laundry basket and they were entertained indefinitely.  I would get such joy watching them pretend to be knights charging to battle only to suddenly find a fire burning that they needed to put out; suddenly changing before my eyes into firefighters.

Balin's 3rd Birthday Party, 2006
When trying to come up with a creative idea for my soon to be 3 year old's birthday, I decided I wanted to do a super hero party.  I'm not a big fan of goody bags...I never really understood the point.  Why send children home with a bag of junk that will end up in the trash the next day?  So, instead, I decided to make each kid a cape as their take home gift.  The result was a huge hit!  I still get comments from the parents whose children attended that party; the capes ended up being a well-loved and played with gift!  This still makes me happy to this day...
Balin flexing his Super Muscles!

The 1st batch of capes - All birthday party kids went
home with one


Minnie Mouse Super Cape, made specially for my niece who LOVES Minnie Mouse,
and whose first name just happens to be Mya.  Perfect.

Cameron

And my youngest son's beloved nickname is Yaya.  So of course
I had to make his supercape with a Y.  

Bryson, by best friend's nephew, having fun in his new Super Cape.
Merry Christmas Bryson!


The original capes had velcro closures, but velcro tends to wear out
after a few tumbles through the wash...hence the snaps.

Here's a closeup of Bryson's cape...I'm not a huge fan of the
commercial Super Hero's...as I like the to see children
transform into their own "Super Selves" but I
made an exception in this case...




Baby Capes!


No comments:

Post a Comment