Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gluten Free Soft Pretzel Nuggets

I stumbled across a recipe on Pinterest one day for Soft Pretzels.  I have been wanting to come up with a recipe that my oldest could eat.  So I took this recipe:

I modified it using Gluten Free Pantry, French Bread & Pizza mix

This mix is my "go to" mix whenever I am trying a new recipe.  I've used it to make GF cutout cookies that turn out amazing as well!!  So, basically I followed the above recipe subbing this flour mix for the regular flour that the recipe calls for.  (FYI you don't have to bother measuring out the 4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour...just dump in the whole box, it's the exact right amount!!)  I used corn starch when I rolled out/kneaded my dough.  Because this is GF dough it's very difficult to shape into a classic pretzel shape.  GF dough just doesn't have the elasticity  of regular dough.  So to keep it simple and keep me from ripping out my hair, I decided to just cut the dough into nuggets.  (What kid doesn't want to gobble up a nugget!?)  I divided the dough into 4 sections, and went about dividing each section into 4 more sections.  Each one I rolled and squeezed into a rope and then simply cut each rope into several 1 inch size nuggets.  I followed all the remaining directions just as detailed on the above link.  They turned out amazing! 

 I watch children during the day...so on this particular day I had about 8 kids. (Two of which have Celiac Disease.)  I love to find interesting snacks that they all will enjoy equally.  This was a HUGE hit!  The first batch was GONE before the second was out of the oven.  The kids gobbled them up and were sad when they were all gone.  Next time I make these I'm going to try freezing half to see how they reheat.  I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.  I hope you try making these...it's a lot of steps but so so so good!!  (Also, next time I think we'll try shaking them up in cinnamon sugar...I think the kids will FREAK!)

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog, I'm Margy from the Lee Cooks, Margy Eats blog referenced above. I'm so glad to have found this, my mom is GF and she misses our pretzels so much! Now I can share these with her!

    ReplyDelete